To support the capacity building for EMB Regional Offices (EMB ROs), the DENR Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) held a 2-day Continuous Emission Monitoring System (CEMS) Online Workshop on 15-16 September 2021 which aims to capacitate the technical individuals of EMB Regional Offices in the assessment and observation of the different CEMS-COMS-CERMS audit procedures.
EMB Assistant Director Engr. Vizminda A. Osorio emphasized on her welcoming remarks the hope for more firms and industries with existing established CEMS and COMS units will be connected to Uniform Data Acquisition and Handling System (DAHS).
According to Air Quality Management Section Chief, Engr. Jundy del Socorro, EMB keeps on receiving audit reports from industries and 3rd party firms yet EMB lacks the technical know-how on CEMS and COMS. To address the issue, Engr. Del Socorro posted the challenge to do the audit procedures ourselves by having its own CEMS equipment, thus, the emphasis on the need of the CEMS training workshop.
Presentation and highlights of the workshop are the following:
- Revisiting DAO 2007-22 guidelines on Requirements for CEMS/COMS and audit procedures by Engr. Paul Nathan Vallar
- Establishing of Integrated Air Quality Network for CEMS & COMS through Uniform Data Acquisition and Handling System (DAHS) – MC 2021-14 by Engr. Chadbert Aquino
- Discussion of Section 5 of MC 2020-14 Mode of Transmission by Mr. Joel Tugano
- Demonstration of How to Determine CEMS Exceedance using EMB Data Acquisition and Handling System (DAHS) by Engr. Ethel Garcia
- Recommendations to Improve DAO 2007-22: Inclusion and Presentation of Draft EMB Observer’s checklist, audit test plan / report template for CEMS/COMS by Engr. Mae Ann So Gatchallan
- US EPA Methodologies and Performance Specifications 1,2,3,4,6 and 11 by Engr. Glenn Delica
- Break Out Session, Training Exercises Questionnaires and Interactive Discussion facilitated by Engr. Gatchallan
- Identification of validity of calibration gases to be used on RATA activities through inspection of certificate of analysis
- Checking of acceptability of calibration sheets of RM analyzers
- Checking of completeness of reports; and lastly
- Validation of correctness and authenticity of results.
- Post-Workshop Exam and Evaluation arranged by Engr. Vallar
Lastly, Engr. Marcelino N. Rivera Jr., Chief of Environmental Quality Management Division, capped off by reiterating that EMB aims for 100% industry connectivity of CEMS and COMS to the bureau and thanked the organizers and resource speakers for sharing their valuable time and knowledge on the event.